Monday, October 10, 2011

MB5 update

It's been raining nonstop so I haven't been able to get any decent photos of the MB5. I got the gazelle on without too much force. I thought it was going to be really difficult and was ready to hand over $15 bones to get them mounted. Instead I got myself another tire iron and it was on in 5 minutes. Unfortunately, I guess I still messed up at some point because the tube now reads 10psi after a few days.

Even with the miserable weather I got to ride it around a bunch. It feels pretty solid. I'm still getting used to shifting way later compared to the DT125. I'm about to get a bike speedo on so I can take off the cluster. The speedo has gotten passed 45, but I still haven't let it wind out. The front forks also seem to be frozen. Unfortunately, this thing doesn't have a bleed at the bottom of the forks. It's a bit ridiculous, they have to be dismantled and turned upside down. I also got to mess with the idle screw today and it finally idles. I've been so excited about riding it that I never messed with it until today. I also completely forgot that it has a horn and kill switch. It's so wild how it idles so low. It reminds me of Jonny's cub. It sounds like it's about to shut off when it comes to an idle.

While I had the rear wheel off, I gave it a quick sanding and polish. It turned out pretty good for the few minutes of work. I can't imagine what it'd actually look like if I took my time! The next thing on the list is to get the front forks moving and get the lights to work. It'll be getting a new headlight and fork ears to have them lowered. I've been riding around with a flashlight taped to the forks and a bicycle light.

I'll hopefully be selling a moped to fund a VM20, intake, 14 sprocket, reeds and 50cc homoet pipe. It'd be really nice to get a front brake set up. I've got a front brake handle, but the reservoir is cracked. I guess it can wait...

This is the 1980 Peugeot 102SP U3 I got from Chip. This is the nicest looking moped I've ever come across. He did a really great job. It looks almost new. I still haven't found a spec of rust. It's got tons of new stuff. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten it to spark.

I bought a new coil with no luck. If no one buys it soon I'll be getting new points and a condenser. I'm hoping that's what's preventing it from sparking. I'm really curious to see what speed this thing will do. It's a sad thought to see this thing go, but the MB5 comes first.